- - How to create Favorites
- - How to rearrange Favorites
- - How to favorite external content
- - How to remove a Favorite
- - How to delete a favorited resource
- - How to add Favorites to a Shareable folder
PBS LearningMedia offers organizational aides called Favorites and Shareable Folders. Use Favorites and Shareable Folders to manage your customized PBS LearningMedia content and share it with students and colleagues. This section demonstrates how to leverage this useful feature.
- - Click the Browse by Grade & Subject dropdown menu to browse resources or type search criteria into the search textbox at the top of the screen and press Enter on your keyboard (Figure 1).
In the following example we are searching by keyword.
- - From the list of results, click the hollow heart icon in the lower right side of each resource that you want to designate as a Favorite (Figure 2).
- - After being clicked, the hollow heart turns red, denoting that the resource is now a Favorite.
*You can have an unlimited number of Favorites.
- - You can Favorite a resource from the resource page by hovering your mouse over the hollow heart icon in the upper left side of the page and clicking the hollow heart icon (Figure 3).
- - Once you have Favorited the resource, the heart is red (Figure 4).
PBS LearningMedia allows you to reorganize your Favorites simply by dragging them with your mouse. This functionality only works within your folders and not in your main Favorites list.
- - To rearrange items in a folder begin by opening your Favorites by clicking Favorites in the dropdown menu in the top navigation or clicking Favorites in the left side navigation menu (Figure 1).
- - Click on the name of the folder that holds the items you want to rearrange (Figure 2).
- - Click the grey patterned block between the up and down arrows located to the left of each resource (Figure 3).
The items are in their new order. You can rearrange items again at any time.
- - You cannot rearrange Favorites in the main favorites folder. This functionality is available only within each subfolder.
- - Pagination is available at the bottom of each page. If you want to move Favorites from one page to another, click the Show All link to view all Favorites on one page.
PBS LearningMedia allows you to not only favorite resources from within PBS LearningMedia but favorite any valid external content as well. **External content must be cleared for use in PBS LearningMedia. This is achieved by using the Add a Link button in the PBS LearningMedia admin tool. External links can be added to your main Favorites folder or any subfolder that you have created in your Favorites section. This section demonstrates how to add external content to your Favorites list.
- - From the top of the main PBS LearningMedia homepage, hover your mouse over Dashboard and click Favorites (Figure 1).
- - At the top of the page, click Add a Link.
- - Type the Title of the external link (Figure 3.1). This will be the title that appears in the Favorites list. *This is a required field.
- - Type the full URL of the external link (e.g.: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/inside-nature/the-dirt-this-week-in-nature-june-15-21/8368/) (Figure 3.2). The link will not save if the full URL is not included (right: http://www.google.com / wrong: google.com). *This is a required field.
- - Type some description text to give context to the purpose and use of this external resource (Figure 3.3). The description appears in the Notes section of your resource.
- - Click Save (Figure 3.4).
- - After clicking Save the external link appears in your Favorites list (Figure 4).
TIP: The external link opens up in the same window as the PBS LearningMedia website. You must click your browser’s back button to return to the PBS LearningMedia website or right click on the external link to open it in a new tab or window.
This section demonstrates how to remove a favorited resource from a subfolder. Keep in mind that removing a resource from a subfolder is different from deleting a resource from your Favorites list. Removing a resource simply removes it from a particular folder; however, the resource remains a Favorite in your Favorites list. There are two ways to remove a favorited resource from a subfolder. This section demonstrates both methods.
Method 1 – this method is useful for removing a Favorite from a single folder.
- - Go to your main Folders menu and click the folder that holds the Favorite you want to remove (Figure 1.1).
- - Click the plus sign located to the left of the title of the Favorite you want to remove (Figure 1.2). Doing this expands the favorite to reveal your options.
- - Click the Remove Item located on the right side of the screen (Figure 2).
- - The resource will be removed from the folder but will remain in all other folders to which it’s been assigned.
Method 2 – this method is useful for removing a Favorite from several folders at once.
- - Go to your main Favorites folder. Beneath each Favorite, the folders to which it’s been assigned are displayed. Click the X located to the left of the name of each folder from which you want it removed (Figure 1).
- - The resource is removed from the folder and can be added again at any time by retrieving it from your Favorites list.
The Delete Resource functionality deletes a favorited resource from your Favorites list. The resource will be removed from each folder to which it was assigned; however, it can be added as a Favorite again at any time. This section demonstrates how to delete a favorited resource.
- - From your main Favorites page, click the checkbox to the left of the thumbnail on each favorited resource you want to delete (Figure 1.1). * You can select more than one.
- - Near the top of the page, click Delete Favorite (Figure 1.2).
- - Click Yes, Delete (Figure 2).
- - The resources no longer appear in your Favorites list but can be favorited again at any time.
Once you have created shareable folders, you can now begin adding Favorites to them. This section demonstrates how.
- - Go to your Favorites page by clicking Favorites from the Dashboard dropdown menu or from your Main Dashboard (Figure 1).
- - All resources that have been designated as Favorites appear in the list (Figure 2).
- - Click the checkbox next to each Favorite that you want to add to a particular folder (Figure 2.1). You can click an unlimited number of checkboxes. You can also click Select All to select all Favorites in your list (Figure 2.2).
- - At the top of the page, click Add to Folder (Figure 2.3).
- - A list of your folders appears in a popup box. Click the name of the folder to which you want to add the designated favorites (Figure 3).
- - The popup box closes and name of the folder the Favorites were added to appears beneath each resource. (Figure 4).